Videoconferencing Out on a Lim

Experiences, curriculum thoughts, new resources, and technology comments related to K12 videoconferencing.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

How to find international partner classes

Today Neva Kelly, Horseheads Central School District, emailed me with a great question. How do I find a class in another country that wants to collaborate on such a project?

So I dug out the article I wrote for the upcoming fall MACUL journal. Here's a summary/preview with links to the resources mentioned.
  1. Networking. Meet people where ever you can! Some places to start are the Keystone Conference, Megaconference and Megaconference Jr., and even NECC, especially the proposed SIG IVC meeting, June 28, 2005 4:45-6:15 EST. The more people you meet doing VC, the more connections you make and the more you share collaborations. I carefully save contact info for everyone who emails me and keep folders for states & countries where I know someone doing VC.
  2. Listservs. Both megaconference listservs have international classrooms on them. In fact on the megaconference websites you can find lists of participants. Just google their school, hunt around on their website, and you can usually find the VC contact person's email address. I found the megaconference listservs more helpful for international contacts than the k12ivc and ed1vidconf listservs which seem to only have talkative US people on them. I'm sure there are others but they hardly ever say anything so you don't get to meet them.
  3. My online class - Planning Interactive Curriculum Connections. That's how I was able to arrange the Guatemala connection. In my August session I have a few people signed up again from Central & South America - so that might be another opportunity to network and meet via VC. There's still room! :)
  4. Global Leap. Sign up for this and participate in some of their programs. That way you'll meet people and participate in programs with other classes. They have a good directory too.
  5. International programs. Did you ever notice the specialty search on the BCISD Field Trip Database on the TWICE site? Notice the pink box on the right. You can search international programs. Also when participating in global programs such as those from Global Nomads and Global Education Motivators, you often connect with classes from other countries and therefore can meet and collect contacts that way.
  6. Online directories. I've been collecting some of these on the TWICE projects page on the right side of the page.
Anyone else have a suggestion for finding partner classes in other countries?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home